Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mrs. Harris, the new P.E. teacher!

Who would have ever thought this sweet, dainty little princess would later become a P.E. teacher??

Since surf instructing is only a summer gig, I have been emailing my resume out at least a few times a day for the last several weeks. If you haven't heard, the job market isn't so hot right now. So, when I got a response from a private school looking for a P.E. teacher/after school sports coach, I was careful not to get too excited. I went in for the interview, gave my spiel, and...the guy says, "Well, we'd like to invite you on board. Can you come in tomorrow at 10?" HA! I pulled my jaw off the floor enough to tell him, "Okay, what should I wear?" It was crazy.

So, today is day #6 of my new PE teaching career! The school is Called Camelot Academy of Arts, Science, and Technology. It was a tutoring company for gifted kids, until they bought a small private school that was going under about a year and a half ago. It only has 60 kids, ranging from Jr. Kindergarten up to 9th grade. It's in the city of Orange, and my hours are 10am to 6pm, Monday through Friday. These guys really focus on academics. They're looking to beef up the athletics department (I have no curriculum except a list of 6 sports!), so I'm going to see what I can do with these nerdy, um...wait, I mean....smart kids!

Check out the school website: http://www.camelotprep.com/

Here's a little video I made to show Shane around the tiny campus.

I'm excited, thankful, and I'm already making friends at my new school :) I'll keep the updates coming.

8 comments:

Peterson's said...

This is like Hilariously AWESOME! Way to go! Get those kids some meat on their bones!

Morgan said...

sally!!! This could not be more perfect!!! So amazing! Do they need a science assistant ;-). Can't wait to hear some stories about how it is going!

Morgan said...

p.s. that picture of you is so adorable and so YOU! I love it!!!

Amy said...

SHUT UP SALLY!!!!! CONGRRRRRATS!!!

Ashley said...

haha, I love it! The pic rocks. Both of us working at schools! So awesome! Good luck with it!

Brynne said...

That is seriously crazy... Sally the P.E. teacher! ::sigh:: :) It's so funny cause that's always something I thought would be an awesome job. One more reason why I love you!!

Those kids are lucky to have you, instead of some of the fat, grumpy P.E. teachers we had. ;) You'll be every little boy's crush. Awesome!

Robd said...

Congratulations! This is great news

Anna and Corban said...

Congrats! That is awesome and EXACTLY what I would picture you being when you get all growed up. I also can imagine you being a professional extreme sports gal. :)