Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hallelujah, I'm a college grad!

It seems like just yesterday that I was on a plane from Beijing to Provo totally freaking out. I left my family in Beijing and was on my way to start life on my own at BYU. But my, how life has changed since then! After 3 years at BYU, the band decided to do summer sales and play music in California; little did I know we would never move back to Utah! I was determined to finish my degree, though I knew it wouldn't be easy. After several custom made online courses (during tour and recording!), a 4 month swim coach internship, an emergency week long school trip to Provo, and finally, statistics and algebra at Long Beach City College, I DID IT! I now have a bachelor's degree from BYU in Recreation Management and Youth Leadership.
When I came home from my last final, Shane had this surfboard waiting for me!!! He is so cute and thoughtful and awesome and the list goes on. I've already tried out my new board a few times and it's the BOMB!
I love it. I love Shane.

(I got this sweatshirt from the DI right after I found out I got into BYU. I was so excited, I had to have some official gear! It was only right to wear it on my last day of school.)

I thought my surprises were over with the surfboard, but I was so WRONG! The weekend came along and I thought we were headed to the Hulls for a typical afternoon BBQ and I walked into THIS:
My friends and husband threw me a surprise graduation party!! There was graduation music playing as I walked through the clapping tunnel of friends. It was SO awesome!
Fun friends, great food, awesome decorations, no more statistics... I was feeling pretty dang good.
I was so delighted that Dorothy and her wig came to congratulate me!!
Cute girlfriends.
Cuter husband.
A HUMONGOUS thanks to Shane, Sarah, Bryant, Nancy and everyone who came to celebrate with me!!
You guys are the best.
And lastly, I'd like to thank my husband and my parents for being such huge supporters of me finishing school. I truly could not have done it without you three. I love you all!!!

I will close with this message someone wrote on my group graduation card: "Congratulations. Welcome to the real world." That made me laugh.

10 comments:

kelliemcc said...

Looks like a fun party, congrats again!!!

Sarah said...

It was a rockin' party in the LBC celebrating one heck of a gal! Congrats! You deserved every second of it and more!!

Nancy Smith... said...

You rocked your morter-board!

Morgan said...

yahooo!!! ur so lucky to have such great friends and such a great hubby! now lets take that surf board out together!

Bloggy Daddy said...

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyy! Your party wuz amazing. This one time I went to a party and the food was so good. Nachos rule.

nan said...

You have such great friends!

Ashley said...

I love this post! I totally remember meeting you for the first time in DT. I could get some zip tie off my bed and none of us could cut it off then you came in and said, don't be weak and you cut them off. It was awesome and we have been pals ever since. Totally remember that sweatshirt too. Love it Sal. Congratulations, I never doubted you would finish.

Teija in PDX said...

I absolutely LOVE that you wore a BYU shirt on your last day. Hey, have fun with your fam!!!!

Chelsea said...

your awesome Sal, and you're going to make that surf board look HOT!

Brynne said...

I'm glad someone else threw you a party, because I was having one here for you!!! I am soooo happy for you (and completely jealous, but we wont go there. ;) Love you!! Way to go.