Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fred+Dorothy Forever!

Last Thursday, Dorothy's awesome husband Fred passed away. He was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease (a disease of the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement) about a month before he died. We are all recovering from this huge blow. He was such a legend and a rock in Dorothy's life. He lived 88 very full years. He and Dorothy's 67th wedding anniversary is this month!Sarah, Fred's granddaughter, has posted a great blog if you'd like to know more about this great guy: http://ahulllotoffun.blogspot.com/2011/05/grandpa-fred.html
After his memorial at the local Catholic church, there was a luncheon at Dorothy's place. It was a really nice afternoon. They have such an awesome family and really great friends. They all came up to me and said, "YOU'RE Sally?! Ohhhhhhh! I've heard so much about you!" It's pretty funny. I really do feel like I'm part of the family now...at least a cousin or something :) They're all so good to me!
Below are Fred and Dorothy's 4 great kids. Nancy (Sarah's mom), Fred, Greg, and Hank (the guy who is my swim coach mentor and boss).
Thanks to Shane for taking some time off to show some love. And thanks to Sandy for always thinking I'm funny (AKA "creepy").
My girl and sister, Sarah.
Now that Dorothy doesn't have her trusty Fred around, she's going to need 24 hour care. That means I'm off to find a new adventure (a new job). Dorothy and I have become very great friends (don't make me cry!) and I'm going to really miss being with her every day! However, the time is right and we will continue to be buddies. Wish us both luck!! We'll need it.

6 comments:

Sarah Hull said...

Oh Sister!! I love this!! What a sweet post! You know you cried writing it and I love that about you!! Thank you for being so good to my little Dode. You have been such a trooper over there and trooped through some really hard times and moments. We appreciate all that you have done. You have managed to keep my grandma smiling and laughing through some really hard days.
I am so grateful for you and I love that for the rest of our lives as friends when I talk about my grandparents, you will not only know who I am talking about but if I start to cry while talking about them (when I'm 60 and you're 50) you might just cry along with me because you loved them too. I love that and I love you! Thanks friend!
xo!

Morgan said...

Wow, so cool that you could be there to support Dorthy and help out with everything.

kelliemcc said...

What a blessing you have both been to each other! Good luck in your future endeavors (maybe I should write that part in your yearbook) :)

Peterson's said...

Oh gosh, that was fast. So sad. Good luck with your job.

Brynne said...

Oh, this made ME cry! I love the pictures of them together. How awesome that they have taken you into their family so much. I wish Dorothy the best and I am excited for you and wherever the wind takes you, too! ::cough:: little Shally's ::cough:: (c'mon, I'm starting to look a little crazy here 3 to 0) ;) Love you!!!

p.s. as a side note, Jon is pushing for the name "Hank" right now...

Ashley said...

This is really interesting because I was just thinking about you and your job yesterday. I was wondering how long you would be there and such. I am so sorry, you have loved being with them and this will be a big change. You will find something really awesome though, I have a feeling.