Sunday, May 29, 2011

Summer Surf Instructor 2011

I'm officially a surf instructor! When I was thinking about this summer, I decided I need to do something opposite of what I have been doing for the past year and half. I wanted to do something in my field (Recreation Management and Youth Leadership) and something active and busy. And it would be a super bonus to involve my most recent passion: surfing. So, I've been checking out all the local surf schools/camps. Surf Academy (surfacademy.com) seemed pretty awesome and pretty legit. Here's some snippets of an email I received form them:
Aloha!

This email is to announce the interview for Surf Academy employment going forward for Summer 2011.

You're receiving this email because you have expressed interest in working for a kick butt company, teaching squeakers how to surf all summer long. Awwoooooo!!
The physical test consists of an ocean swim, a paddle, a soft sand run, and we want to see you surf. This test is timed.
We're looking for GREAT PEEPS (especially chicks. Chicks seem harder to come by in the surf world) to make our already radical program even BETTER. :-D

Aloha!
I went to the tryouts last Saturday and it was intense! And super fun. I really enjoyed the vibe.
The director is a 30 year old surfer girl, who is the daughter of the founder of the company (a 1970's women's surf champ).
I will be working with the kids surf camps:

Surf Academy’s kids surf camps are for ages 9 – 17. Give your Wahine (Hawaiian for Girl) or Kanaka (Hawaiian for Boy) the chance to learn ocean surf sports from an energetic and well-trained safety minded staff. Our instructors include champion surfers, lifeguards and moms. Your child will love the personalized attention that our low student-to-instructor ratio provides, and you will love the peace of mind knowing that safety is priority. Surf Academy Surf sports include surfing, ocean swimming, paddling, bodyboarding, body surfing, beach games, and ocean safety. Campers are provided with all the equipment required including, soft surfboards, wetsuits and colorful rash guards to identify them as part of our program.

Sounds like a job made in heaven just for me.
I'm really stoked! It's going to be Monday through Friday from 9am-2pm in Huntington Beach.
I'll keep you posted with how it goes!

8 comments:

N+C said...

THIS IS AWESOME!!!! You fit the job description perfectly!!! They scored with you!!!!!! Good luck with the job... it sounds SO fun!!! If I'm ever in your area I'd take a lesson from the pro (you). I've never surfed before:)

Morgan said...

yay!!! that is going to be so much fun and so perfect!!!!!!!!!

kelliemcc said...

Awesome Sal! That sounds like a lot of fun.

Chotz said...

SALLY! You are living the dream, my dream! How stinking fun!!!! Congrats and have fun!

Ashley said...

Amazing. You deserve it!

Brynne said...

That TOTALLY has Sally written all over it. Fun stuff!

Elise said...

I totally found a Surf Academy pink rashgaurd I think at San O or Doheny I can't remember. But I wore it a ton this summer and I'm sure it's meant for a 5 year old. Haha!

MoLangley said...

That sounds like a lot of fun.Good luck for your job.

Dana Point Surfing Instruction