Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ragnar Relay Radness

What is Ragnar?

Ragnar is the overnight running relay race that makes testing your limits a team sport. A 
team is made up of 12 individuals; each individual runs 3 legs. The legs of the race vary in difficulty and distance, from 3-8 miles, allowing elite and novice runners to run together. Over 2 days and 1 night, teams run across 200 miles of the country’s most scenic terrain. Pair that with crazy costumes, inside jokes, a great finish line party and unforgettable stories. Some call it a slumber party without sleep, pillows or deodorant. We call it Ragnar.

Our race started in Huntington Beach and ended on Coronado Island, San Diego. 

Some friends from my ward recruited me to their team, and it was a total BLAST. 
It was pretty funny being pregnant doing this crazy thing. I made a sign so everyone would know I'm wasn't just bloated.  
Here were my runs:
Friday at  2pm: 2.5miles up a steep, long hill in 97 degree heat! Fun.
Saturday at 1am: 6 miles in the dark mist, slightly downhill most of the time. Waaaaay fun and awesome conditions.
Saturday at 10am: 7.5 miles up a looooong hill in Torrey Pines, San Diego. Ended this one with a victory dive into the ocean! 
This is in Lake Elsinor after my first hot, sweaty run. We had to get in! 
It was so much fun running at night and hanging out in between runs with everyone. The vibe of the race was so laid back, fun, and low pressure. It was all about goofing around with and cheering for friends, trying to sleep in crazy places at crazy times, figuring out where and when to be to the next hand off, and meeting/laughing at all the crazy people you meet along the way. It was such a fun change from what I'm used to.
Above: The crew in van #1
Below: The whole team! Featuring my belly. 
Thanks to my mom, for giving me the push I needed to do this. (Side note: My parents ran a half marathon without training this same day in Albuquerque and killed it! 2:04 and my mom got 2nd in her age group! She's legit.). 

I'm FOR SURE doing Ragnar again. If you want to join me next year, hit me up! 

6 comments:

N+C said...

Pregnant lady coming through! Hahahaha. You look awesome girl!

kelliemcc said...

You are crazy!

Sarah Hull said...

You are so rad!! So awesome! What a super fun adventure!!!
p.s. your parents are rad too. good blood/DNA.

Morgan said...

your baby bump is so cute!!!!! Way to be awesome! You are your little girls hero already!

Lance N Amy said...

I've done the Ragnar twice....ha ok really I drove both years... didn't have enough guts, want, knowledge to actually do it. :) Way to go Sal, you are awesome! I bet you slept for like 15 hours straight after you got home.

nan said...

Yes, I want to join you next year! Although you may take back the legit comment afterwards :)

You rock girl!