Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Another First!

Saturday was a milestone in the Shally (Shane+Sally) Harris family:
We competed in our first race together!


We ran the "Heartbreak Ridge" Half Marathon at Camp Pendleton.


Uh, yeah, I did not know that the race was called "Heartbreak Ridge" when we signed up.
I read the description: This course offers a little bit of everything - it’s an out and back course, including rolling hills and some flat and fast stretches intermixed throughout.

Sounds pretty easy, right?
Wrong!

Rolling hills the whole time and that little thing they call "heartbreak ridge" at mile 3!
And did you catch that it's an "out and back" course?
That means we hit heartbreak ridge again at mile 10. Yep.


This guy below is running "heartbreak ridge."

It was hard.
But we did it.

We stayed together the whole race, keeping each other alive.

We came across the line to find these military finishers doing this:
Nuts.

Shane keeps it cool.


I am promptly on the ground.
With barely enough energy to show off my prize.


13.1 miles.
2 hours and 7 minutes of running.
One heartbreak ridge.
2 chaffed thighs (mine).
1 sexy husband.

I just want to mention how proud I am of my man Shane.
He only started running a few months ago and he owned this thing!
One night he was watching the Biggest Loser contestants running a marathon and said "Ah man, if these guys can do it, I can. I think I want to do a race."
I was promptly on the computer signing us up and printing a training schedule :)

We started slow, he didn't complain, kept at it, and was in awesome shape by race day.
I'm so proud of his dedication and so stoked we have something else to add to the list of things we love doing together.
I am currently loving seeing Shane discover what an awesome athlete he is.
I'm not sure he knew what he was getting into marrying an Osborne :)
But I'm happy he did!

8 comments:

kelliemcc said...

Congrats you two! Maybe Shane thought he was marrying into another famous Osborne family, just a thought!

sarah said...

YES!!!! SHALLY!!!! Nice work friends. Way to go. you guys seriously rock!!!
Sal, that was a super cute post!

The Johnson Family said...

Thats awesome! I just started running a few months ago also and I've been nervous to sign up for anything but if Shane can do it I CAN do it! Thanks for the motivation!

Brynne said...

Man, that is AWESOME!!! Way to go, you guys!!! Man, that ridge looks like a you-know-what! Ugh. You guys are the cutest, though. That is so sweet to accomplish something like that together for the first time. I love you both!

Brynne said...

P.S. Great time! Hills and all! Way to push eachother.

Alex and Morgan said...

way to go!!!! you two are inspirational!!! I'm so proud of you guys for getting past that ridge, those kinds of surprises are never fun. Nice time too!!! we saw the beans today- so so so cute!

Tyler and Mikin Morton said...

Yeah, Baby!!! Way to go and do it together at that! Great time, you are both born runner bodies...lean, mean, running machines! Nothing feels better than the finish line, I know!

JoshuaMcC said...

I'm a little behind. Good job on the running thing.
I have an idea for Shane's next hobby.....bodybuilding.